Family Access Programs
Our mission is to ignite and advance creative thinking for all children. We are committed to creating a warm and welcoming environment and meaningful programming for all audiences on a daily basis. This programming intentionally reinforces our mission and brings it to life at every touchpoint, while being broadly accessible to visitors of diverse cultures and socio-economic backgrounds.
We offer a number of ways to access the Museum for low or no cost.
Free First Wednesdays
The Museum offers free admission on the First Wednesday of each month - all day long. In addition, several of the Museum’s cultural festivals are free to visitors.*
Open Door Policy
It is the Museum's policy that no one be turned away due to lack of funds. Families are welcome to visit the Museum on a pay-what-you-can basis. To participate, simply tell the front desk staff that you wish to enter under the Open Door Policy.
Most local library branches offer Bay Area Discovery Museum membership cards that can be checked out to visit the Museum. Details vary by library branch – please check with your local library.
Family Access Membership
The Bay Area Discovery Museum offers reduced cost memberships to families that qualify. Family Access Memberships include free admission for two adults and the children in their household for unlimited visits for one year (except the Goblin Jamboree Fundraiser in October).
- Download and complete the Family Access application (English PDF) (Espanol PDF)
- $35 payment (check, money order, credit card, no cash please)
- Copy of ONE of the following requirements WITH CURRENT DATES. Do not send originals, they will not be returned. (Please note that we cannot make copies)
- Food Stamps / CalFresh Program / Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program
- Free and Reduced School Lunch
- WIC (Women Infants and Children)
- TANF (Temporary Assistance For Needy Families)
- Section 8 / Public Housing
- CHIP / Healthy Families (Children’s Health Insurance Plan)
- Medicaid / Medi-Cal
- Low Income Energy Assistance / Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP)
- Kaiser Permanente Cares for Kids (Child Health Plan)
Please mail all materials to:
Membership Access Program
Bay Area Discovery Museum
557 McReynolds Rd
Sausalito, CA 94965
Fax: (415) 339-3955
Turn in at the Museum Front Desk
In 4-6 weeks you will get a letter in the mail letting you know if you qualified. If so, the letter will include your membership cards. We will also let you know if you are not accepted. We are unable to respond to inquiries about the status of your application.
Family Access memberships are good for one year. Your membership will be active until the end of the month of the following year. For example, memberships accepted in September 2013 will be active until September 30, 2014. You may re-apply for an additional year by resubmitting documents with current dates.
A limited number of Summer Camp scholarships are available. Download and complete the scholarship form for consideration (PDF). Scholarships are awarded in the order received based on need. Please submit scholarship requests before May 2, 2013. You will be contacted by telephone if you receive a scholarship.