The Bay Area Discovery Museum is dedicated to providing an exceptional, safe, and fun educational experience for all our visitors. Volunteers at the Museum provide essential services that enhance the experience of our guests and visitors while at the same time playing and having fun.
We value the time and contributions our volunteers provide and offer a variety of opportunities for the young and young-at-heart to share their many skills and talents with our organization. The Museum welcomes all creative and enthusiastic individuals who want to enrich the lives of children and help inspire the future generations of creative thinkers and innovators.
Come be part of the fun and volunteer at the Bay Area Discovery Museum!
Current Volunteer Opportunities:
NEW! Teen Council Volunteer Program
The Teen Council Members are a subset of the Volunteer Program looking to play a leadership role at the Museum. The Council will provide teens with work readiness and leadership skills along with opportunities to fulfill their community service hours in a fun, creative and impactful way.
In its first year, the Teen Council will develop and implement a robust Teen Volunteer Program under the supervision of the Visitor Experience Coordinator. Teen Council Members will gain experience in customer service and interacting with young children and their families, and will learn about facilitation, planning and marketing events and recruiting volunteers from the community. Learn more.
Visitor Experience Volunteers
Join our team of Visitor Experience Volunteers. Visitor Experience Volunteers help in all areas of the museum from greeting visitors at the door to playing with our young visitors in exhibit areas. Volunteers might help:
- Greet Visitors
- Assist in the Art studio
- Help in the museum store
- Play with our young visitors in our exhibit areas.
Tuesday – Sunday
10 a.m. – 2 p.m.
Requirements for all Volunteers:
- Complete on-line volunteer application and interview.
- Consent to a background check.
- Be at least 15 years old.
- Commit to completing 40 hours within a 3 month period.
- Be on your feet and able to move from place to place for up to four hours at a time in all types of weather.
- Be fun, flexible, and reliable.
Benefits of Volunteering:
- Immersion in child-directed teaching approach.
- Complete service learning hours.
- Rewarding opportunity to share your skills and talents.
- Create networking opportunities.
- A 10% discount coupon at the Discovery Store.
- Having fun while enriching the lives of children and families.
Fill out the volunteer application online and it will be electronically submitted.
If you have any question about volunteer opportunities please contact Madeleine McGuire, Visitor Experience Assistant Manager at (415) 339-3978 or mmcguire(at)badm.org.