Bay Area Discovery Museum
Established 25 years ago, our mission is “to ignite and advance creative thinking for all children,” through open-ended, child-directed play. With panoramic views of the San Francisco Bay and one-of-a-kind location at the foot of the Golden Gate Bridge, the Bay Area Discovery Museum offers:
- A 7.5 acre indoor-outdoor campus;
- A safe, child-centric environment;
- Hands-on exhibits and expert-guided workshops in the arts and sciences;
- Multicultural programs that celebrate the Bay Area's varied cultures and communities;
- Outreach to children and families in under-served communities, where the need for creative development is most acute; and
- A platform for advocacy and thought leadership in childhood creativity and its lifelong benefits.
The Center for Childhood Creativity ensures that today’s creative children are tomorrow’s thought leaders and innovators. Launched by the Bay Area Discovery Museum as a think tank focused on children’s creativity, the Center leverages the Museums experience and expertise to:
- Raise awareness of the critical need for childhood creativity;
- Provide creativity-focused products and services for parents, educators, activists, corporations and policymakers;
- Generate original research and set the standards for creative programs for children in multiple disciplines; and
- Syndicate content for maximum impact.
The Bay Area Discovery Museum and the Center for Childhood Creativity are seeking a marketing intern to provide support for the Earned Revenue and Project Management Department. The intern will work closely with all members of the communications staff to develop and execute marketing strategy. Interns have the opportunity to be exposed to all areas of museum marketing, including print, direct email campaigns, research and the creative process. The intern will be given several long term projects that will enhance their understanding and development in the field of marketing, public relations and non-profit management.
- Implement marketing tactics related to publicity, advertising and promotions
- Maintain records of press clippings and media coverage
- Conduct research needed for various marketing projects
- Research and execute social media strategy, including reputation monitoring (Yelp etc.), blogging, online community outreach (Facebook), online photo & video creation for Flickr, YouTube etc.
- Membership program tactics and analysis
- Ability to think innovatively and creatively
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Familiarity with social media networks
- Working knowledge of Photoshop & iMovie desired
- Ability to take initiative
- Attention to detail
- Ability to work independently (Candidate must understand that work tasks may change daily.)
- Marketing and/or Public Relations coursework a plus.
- Willingness to assist as needed in on-site and off-site events
- Able to work 8-10 hours a week (minimum)
The Bay Area Discovery Museum and the Center for Childhood Creativity can work with the university to provide course credit. The internship will offer an enriching experiencing that will be both beneficial to the intern and the Museum.
How to apply:
Please send a letter of interest and resume:
- A cover letter that states availability (i.e., start and end date, days of the week available, full time, etc.), area of interests and reasons for wanting to intern with the Museum, including what you hope to gain from the experience and what we may expect from you. If this internship will be for academic credit, please include the academic requirements for internships at the institution you are attending including the name and contact information for your intern advisor.
- Resume of your employment, volunteer, intern and academic experience.
Marketing and Communication Coordinator
Bay Area Discovery Museum
557 McReynolds Rd
Sausalito, CA 94965-2614