Creative thinking begins early in every child’s life. It enables original thought and the ability to see solutions where others don’t. It unlocks possibilities and fosters innovation. It provides the fundamental building blocks for success in school and beyond.
The Bay Area Discovery Museum is designed to ignite creative thinking in children. The 7.5 acres of natural beauty inspires families to engage in a world of possibilities. Framed by the majestic backdrop of the Golden Gate Bridge, the Museum is a space for imaginations to run wild. Every curated detail of our exhibits brings creative thinking to life for all stages of childhood. Navigate winding tunnels to develop physical and intellectual risk-taking skills. Feel the rush of cold-water tide pools that surprise and awaken curiosity. Imagine new worlds by transforming into a spider, a ship captain, or a bridge builder. At every turn is a new opportunity to challenge the boundaries of creativity.
Now we are taking these experiences beyond our physical location. We launched the Center for Childhood Creativity in 2011 to pioneer new research, thought-leadership, and teacher training programs that advance creative thinking in all children—extending our impact beyond the Museum.
Our mission: To ignite and advance creative thinking for all children.
To learn more about how we are unique and how we use stories and iconic landmarks and features, download our interpretive framework. (PDF)
The Museum is consistently recognized as the Bay Area's best! Here is a selected list of recent accolades.
- San Francisco Business Times, Bay Area's Most Influential Women, Karyn Flynn, CEO & Executive Director, 2013
- Superintendent’s Award for Excellence in Museum Education, Center for Childhood Creativity’s professional development program, 2014
- Partner in 100Kin10, a multi-sector network fueling the next generation of innovators and problem-solvers by providing America's classrooms with 100,000 excellent science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) teachers by 2021.
- Southern Marin Mothers' Club, Favorite Museum to Bring the Kids and Favorite Rainy Day Activity, 2014
- Bay Area Parent Magazine, Best Museum, 2014 and 2013
- Marin Magazine Reader’s Choice Awards , Best Summer Camp, 2013
- North Bay Bohemian, Best Imagination Center, 2014
Best Museum and Best Birthday Place, 2013, 2011, 2010
Best Family Destination & Best Imagination Center, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005
- Red Tricycle, Totally Awesome Museum, 2011
- San Francisco Bay Guardian, Best Nearby Discovery 2009
- Pacific Sun, Best Place for a Kid's Party, Hall of Fame (winner for several consecutive years)
- Nickelodeon’s Parents’ Picks Best Enviro-Friendly Place, 2008
- California Preservation Foundation, Preservation Design Award, 2005
- San Francisco Architectural Foundation, Architecture and Youth Award, 2000
- National Historic Preservation Award from the President’s Advisory Council on Historic Preservation, 1992